Saturday, September 22, 2012

Fresh Tomato Tart with Gorgonzola Cheese


As I have mentioned in my 'Silent Sunday' post, I made this beautiful rustic Tomato Tart...normally, I would have used a milder cheese, like Goat Cheese or a mild Cheddar Cheese but I had a block of sweet Gorgonzola cheese, imported from Italy that worked wonders to balance out the flavors with just a small amount of chopped parsley
and the perfectly ripe tomato slices
I may not make cupcakes...especially with 'fancy-schmancy' frosting and decorations; although I think they are gorgeous...and that reminds me of my dear sweet friend Joanna from
Chic& Gorgeous Treats...(whom I had the pleasure of meeting in person last year, in S. Francisco) she is every bit beautiful, sweet, bubbly and friendly in person...  as she is on her blog! Check out her most amazing blog that will put a smile on your face and will want to make, or wish you would/could make some of her creative desserts, cupcakes, and mini tarts.

At least Jo's tarts and cupcakes have natural fruit and fresh cream toppings, but some bloggers make cream frosting for cupcakes which are oh, so pretty and decorative, but the first thing a child would do is to lick off the extreme sugary and brightly tinted cream!
 
Just to give you an example, last week my little grandson Luca was crying at his kindergarten class at lunchtime because every child was enjoying their cupcake topped with a fancy blue frosting, and he had to tell his teacher he's not supposed to eat the cupcake. (he previously got sick from the colored butter cream before)

My daughter had to go to school to console him because he just kept saying "I'm not supposed to eat this"...the poor child is so allergic to so many buttery and synthetic products, that he already knows at such a young age what not to indulge in...even though he would like it, but his little tummy would not tolerate it!




So, let's get started on this recipe! The tart recipe is from Lora @ Cake Duchess from one of the Julia Child's baking challenge with Dorie...another challenge that I'm not following...but maybe, one of these days...soon:)

Torta Salata-Mixed Vegetable Galette

made in a 9 inch round removable bottom tart pan

Galette Dough...(I used it for my Tart Dough)
From Baking with Julia by Dorie Greenspan
serves about 4 people


1 c.  all-purpose flour
1/4 c. cornmeal (I used plain cornmeal)
7 Tb. cold butter
1/3 c. ice water
3 Tb. sour cream




Galette Dough
 
Stir flour and cornmeal together.  Cut in butter with your fingertips until butter is in pea-sized lumps.  Stir ice water and sour cream together in a small bowl, then add to flour mixture.  Mix together with a fork until mixture holds together and form into a ball.  Put ball on a piece of plastic wrap, loosely gather plastic wrap around it and twist, then press dough into a disc. Refrigerate for one hour before rolling out.  Roll out on a floured surface till dough is about 1/8″ thick.  Fold into quarters and transfer to baking sheet.  Unfold and fill. You could also make the dough by pulsing in a food processor.

Remove the dough. Squish the ball down flat and wrap it in plastic and chill for at least 2 hours. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. and proceed to make filling.

For the filling:

2 large tomatoes sliced (not too thin, or thick)
8 oz. piece of Gorgonzola cheese, or a cheese of your choice that melts...you can use goat cheese, Swiss cheese, white cheddar, or just use the custard filling.
a handful of fresh chopped parsley

1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 large eggs, slightly beaten with fork
1 shallot chopped, and sauteed in 1 Tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

In a shallow bowl, add 2 Tbsp olive oil, and dip the tomato slices in them. Sprinkle with salt and freshly ground pepper. Add the 2 beaten eggs to a medium bowl, add the cream, and finally the sauteed shallots. Stir the chopped parsley into the cream and egg mixture.

Do not add the tomato slices until the last 10 minutes of baking time...very important!


Now, you're ready to bake the tart in the preheated oven, for about 25-30 minutes...just keep checking to make sure you don't over bake the tart with the filling.




During the last 10 to 15 minutes, take the tomato slices out of the oil, and pull out the tart from the oven, to place the tomatoes decoratively over the top, and finish baking the tart.

Note:
Now, do you see what I mean? This gorgeous tomato tart is right out of the oven, the tomato slices stayed juicy, and just the right softness, thanks to dipping them into the olive oil first, and only baking them on top of the crust for the last 10-15 minutes...any longer than that, will shrivel up your tomato slices; especially if you don't dip them into the olive oil!




Enjoy a nice slice of this super delicious savory rustic Fresh Tomato Tart...guaranteed success!







The filling is absolutely divine, with the custard mixture and the perfect cheese melted, and baked to a delicate golden color!
 ...and last but not least, Do include your children, or grandchildren whenever possible to join in the fun with the dough. They do have a pretty good idea of what they want to make!

As you can see what I was talking about...check out my little grandson's delicate skin and complexion...he has a lot of allergies to foods, and mostly sugary things (such as colored butter creams)...no wonder he is safer eating and enjoying savory, or even sweet fresh tarts, and homemade cakes that his mom makes just about every day, and the entire family stays 'thin'...because they eat healthy and delicious fresh, and organic vegetables...and oh, yes, pasta just about every day!
Have a wonderful weekend everyone, and enjoy you fall weather...a great change. As for us, rain, rain, ...and more rain, along with some sunshine...a nice 77 degrees F. as of right now! Hugs to you, from South Florida! xo




Enhanced by Zemanta

32 comments:

Patty said...

Elisabeth...this is such a sweet and lovely post...poor Luca...when I taught and students had food allergies...we knew when treats were coming in and there were other treats available for those children who could not eat certain foods...rather than this heart ache...

Take care...the tart looks amazing!

trollanyu said...

Elisabeth, ez a tart valami csodás, és ahogy olvastam kukorica liszt is van a tésztájában, attól ropgósabb lesz, mert én még sosem probáltam? Sajnálom, hogy az unokád allergiás, nálunk senki nem az, de a lehető legritkábban használok színezéket és hasonlókat. De sajnos bármilyen idős korban kijöhet az allergia, több ismerősöm is van, akik 30-40 évesen lettek allergiásak, szerintem a túl sok mesterséges anyagtól, amit az ételekbe kevernek. Szép vasárnapot kívánok:)

Pegasuslegend said...

Wowzer! this is simply amazing and elegant... would love some right now! Love the blue cheese version for sure my kind of pie.. nice one GF! GREAT JOB!

Wendy Wofford-Garcia said...

How pretty is this tart?!?!? I want to run out a buy tomatoes and make this before Summer is over in Texas...still a few more weeks for us to have any real Fall weather, but we're only in the 80s most afternoons now.

Kathy said...

Simply beautiful tomato tart! I wish I still had tomatoes in my garden…this tart deserves the best!! Your cheese combination sounds delicious!! Great job, Elizabeth!!

Swathi Iyer said...

He is really courageous baby,controlling himself to sugary butter cream. He is really cute. Your tomato tart looks delicious and perfect. As it is very nice to have them for a lunch or dinner. Here it is still 90F. Fall will come soon to us I think based on weather.

Illéskrisz Konyhája said...

Nagyon finom sós pite! Csodásan fest! És hogy az unokád is segített, attól még jobb lett! Máris mentem!

Angie's Recipes said...

Eli, this looks absolutely gorgeous right out from the oven. Look at these juicy tomato slices! Totally droolworthy with my favourite blue! Poor Luca...no buttery treat at all? He seems to have fun helping you in the kitchen ;-)
Have a great Sunday (hopefully...rain-free)! Rather chilly over here...
Angie

Kirsten@My Kitchen in the Rockies said...

I make a similar Quiche with Gruyere. I LOVE it. Gorgonzola sounds like an interesting variation. Thanks.

Sissi said...

A simple tomato tart is one of the biggest wonders in the savoury tarts world. If the tomatoes are tasty and ripe and the crust home made, the result can be extraordinary. Your idea to add gorgonzola sounds fantastic too and I love the tomato tip: adding them at the end must make this tart just perfect.

Ola said...

great! looks like a painting!

Pieces of Sunshine said...

This looks so tasty Elisabeth, especially with the large slices of tomato on top!

Emma said...

aww but he'll be better for it! My mum never let me have that stuff when I was growing up either so I know how he feels but I'm grateful for it now. Home made is always better.

I'm just dying to make a tomato tart now I've seen yours!

The Café Sucré Farine said...

Your tart look delightful! The tomatoes look like they're straight from your garden. I love tarts like this and could eat them for breakfast, lunch and dinner! That crust looks delicious also and very versatile!

Vimitha Anand said...

Am really sorry for the kid... but glad that he enjoys the homemade treats... homemade is always the best...such maturity at this age...
The tart looks so rustic and yum

Curt Iffert said...

First of all I love blue cheese anything, then to making this gorgeous scrumpticous tomato tart would be the piece of resistance for me! WOW

Brad said...

Delicious. Your grand son besides being adorable must also have quite a palate :)
Happy Sunday

Chic & Gorgeous Treats said...

Hi Eli! Luca is just so adorable and poor fella don't get to take any butter. But that's okay, least he gets to savour good home cooked or baked food from Lora and yourself. I LOVE tarts and fresh tomato and gorgonzola is such a lovely combo. THANKS SO MUCH for your sweet and kind shout out. It was sure a blast and something to talk about those time we spent together in S.Francisco. I replied to your comment back in my blog too ;).
Hope all is well, and take care now! Huggss, Jo

Kim Bee said...

Oh my gosh, this is so pretty. My hubby would love this for breakfast, lunch or dinner. So gorgeous!

Phong Hong said...

Elisabeth, love the tart. However, I would substitute with cheddar because I can't take strong cheeses. Your grandson is a very smart kid. He knows what not to eat even though it is so tempting. I mean, I would be able to resist a beautiful cupcake myself :)

suhaina aji said...

Dear Elisabeth, these tarts looks simply gorgeous. love the colour of the bright red tomatoes. Luca is having a wonderful time with his grandmom. I too include my son whenever time permits. He also enjoys playing with dough.

Lizzy Do said...

Lizzie, your tomatoes are so vibrant and spectacular...we are already back to the icky grocery store ones as our only option :( So I will have to wait till next summer to try your gorgeous tart! Luca looks so happy to help you out in the kitchen, but I feel so badly that he has to deal with allergies. Those intensely colored frostings always taste bitter to me...probably a sign that I shouldn't eat them! Hope you have a wonderful week...I so enjoy visiting your blog and reading about your delicious food and sweet family! xo

Inside a British Mum's Kitchen said...

Poor little chap - but he certainly looks content lending a hand in the kitchen. The tart is just gorgeous - so beautiful and I can only imagine how great it tasted.
mary x

Zsuzsa said...

My heart goes out to kids with food allergies. Oh the poor little lamb. Elisabeth this entire tart is different from what I would make; I find it I want to give it a try. I'm glad you mentioned white cheddar, that is my favourite all purpose cheese.

wanna said...

Gyönyörű lett a pite! Nagyon jók a részletfotók, jól követhető a folyamat.
Igen, igen, minden gyerek imádja konyhai közreműködést, formázást, szaggatást, nem kell félni bevonni őket, ügyesek nagyon, és nem mellesleg élvezik is, és addig is "le vannak foglalva" :)

Anonymous said...

Hі, i think thаt і ѕaw you visited my weblog so і cаmе to “retuгn
thе favoг”.I'm trying to find things to enhance my website!I suppose its ok to use some of your ideas!!
My web blog ... teknaf

Jill @ MadAboutMacarons said...

Elisabeth, dropped in to say hello and my eyes were stunned with the glorious red tomatoes. This tart looks incredible! Love the addition of the cheese and that you added the toms at the last minute for vibrancy. In South France they make it without the cheese and plenty mustard but I prefer your cheddar version. Feel so sorry for such young kids with allergies. Like yourself, I'm amazed at their knowledge and memory of what they can/can't eat plus we're so alike: I'm allergic to even looking at thick cupcake frostings!

Amelia said...

Hi Elisabeth, love your tomato tarts. It sure look delicious and finger licking good. I love the crust too. yummy....

Have a nice week ahead, warm regards. with hugs to you.

lena said...

this is such a vibrant tart! love the freshness and the redness here, i'm learning so much from you, i must remember about the tomato tips. Sorry to hear about the food allergies, poor kid but he's a smart kid! He knows what and what not to put into his stomach!

Una Semplice Passione said...

Looks beautiful, so fresh and just so yummy.

Elisabeth said...

Hi friends, thank you so much for all your kind and sweet comments, I'm so sorry for disappearing practically all week! Since Tuesday, I've not had much luck,(no electricity) and for the last 2 days I was w/out my computer! Will be commenting to your blog, and also have a new post today...hugs to all, have a wonderful weekend!

Patty said...

Elisabeth- the color of your tomato slices are knocking my socks off! Your tart is exactly the way I like to eat and all homemade by you with love;-)