Friday, July 6, 2012

Israeli Couscous, with Cannelini Beans

 When you are fortunate enough to have the basic herbs growing in your garden...as in my daughter's garden...even the basic basil, oregano, rosemary, thyme, and parsley, spells 'happiness'...I still have the get more parsley at the produce market, it's never enough; also my favorite, the dill, I also get a huge bunch at the market.
What is there not to love in these pearl-like perfect wheat little gems...can't ruin it when you boil it in water, as if you would cook pasta; it lets you know when its done, because it gets so puffed up, and you're ready to rinse it in cold water, and proceed with your recipe. You can serve this chilled, as a cold salad with vegetables of your choice, or you can serve it warm as a side dish, which how I made it with ingredients on hand in Lora's cupboard, and fresh plum tomatoes that I bought!
My sweet friend Jaime, @Mangiabella always raves about my Israeli couscous salad, and how she made it a few or more times for family and friends. She always mentions it to me...it's such an honor when someone makes your recipes, especially when its your own creation...and yes, both of these are my own creations. I first was introduced to Israeli couscous about 10 years ago, but only the last few years have I been making it more often. I guarantee you will love this, and so will your family.

Israeli Couscous with Cannelini Beans
created by; Elisabeth


16 ozs Israeli couscous
1- 14 1/2 cannelini beans
1 medium onion chopped
2 cloves garlic chopped
4 plum tomatoes diced small
fresh herbs, such as basil, oregano
and rosemary (sm. amt. chopped)
handful fresh Italian parsley chopped
2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste




First, heat olive oil in a wok or large skillet, cook the onion, garlic, until soft and wilted. Add your chopped herbs and stir a few minutes longer














...then add the fresh diced tomatoes, and saute for about 10 minutes.







In the meantime...you should have your couscous already cooked in boiling water, strained, and rinsed with cold water to keep from sticking, and cooking longer.
Keep the couscous in the strainer until ready to use.







Now, you can add the couscous to the tomato mixture, season with salt and pepper, and stir in the fresh chopped parsley.










Last you fold in the drained and rinsed beans, carefully fold in, and incorporate, and you are ready to serve. Adjust with more seasoning if you like, and more fresh herbs, as garnish, as well!...now wasn't this easy? I promise your will love this, and will make it over and over again, and you can substitute other vegetables just the way you would like to. The main thing is, that you have the couscous cooked first, and then you can be creative the way you desire!



Israeli Couscous...a guaranteed love at 'first bite'
 for recipe, click on link for,Israeli Couscous Salad








Enhanced by Zemanta

32 comments:

Patty said...

This is the kind of food we love...simple and beautiful!

Juliana said...

I love Israeli couscous...thanks for the recipe Elisabeth!
Have a wonderful weekend :)

Anita - Recipe with Pictures said...

This looks great. I have to try it. Thanks for sharing.

Joyful said...

I love couscous and your's looks very nice.

Lizzy said...

After discovering Israeli couscous, I'll never eat the regular variety again...it's SO good. And your salad sounds fabulous...I never thought about rinsing mine after it was cooked...duh! Great hint. I will make a pasta salad with it next...you've inspired me, as you always do. Enjoy your weekend, my friend! xo

Pegasuslegend said...

This is so pretty I would just eat because of that.. never had this.. looks really over the top gorgeous!

Toni @ Boulder Locavore said...

I am smitten with these pearly cous cous! Sadly I cannot eat wheat so I'll have to admire them from afar but can imagine the flavors of this salad and the fabulous texture! More and more I'm realizing how big a part texture plays in food for me. Perfect Elisabeth!

Mari said...

Hola Elisabeth, this looks so delicious! I have to make it soon :)

Hugs

Swathi Iyer said...

Delicious dish Elisabeth with couscous and home grown herbs.Perfect meal.

simple baking said...

OMG your "pearls" are fab. The salad with homegrown herbs sounds perfect. Hmmm I now have to forage for Israeli couscous in Indian markets. Will let you know if I found it here.

Angie's Recipes said...

Eli, you know that I love salads. This looks healthy, filling and delicious. Simply right up my alley!

Illéskrisz Konyhája said...

Ó, de guszta! Hasonló, mint itthon nálunk a gépi tarhonya. Nagyon finom lehetett!! Ebben a melegben ami itthon szedi az ember idegeit immár két hete, pont ilyen könnyed étel kell! Isteni!!

Ola said...

I just came back from my shopping with 6 packages of cuscus, I am going to try it!
Blog about life and travelling
Blog about cooking

Kathy said...

Elizabeth, I know what I’m making for dinner tonight to go with my lamb chops! This looks so incredible!! I even happen to have some Israeli couscous in the house!! Thanks for sharing such a delicious looking, healthy recipe!
Have a great weekend!!

Sissi said...

I have never had Israeli couscous in my life! It looks different from the North African I am used to... I must make some research and taste it. Your salad looks fabulous and so summery, no wonder it has such a success!
I totally agree it's a huge honour to have one's dish prepared and enjoyed by others. As you say, especially if it's our own creation. Even when I post a dish found on another blog or in a cookery book, it makes me very happy.

Elisabeth said...

The best place to look for is at your local Whole Foods market, and your supermarket, in the rice and pasta isle. I'm not sure that Indian markets would carry this, but for sure, Middle Eastern market, where I usually buy mine, by the pound.
Israeli couscous is totally different from the Moroccan kind!

Gizi said...

Elisabeth most bizony én csorgatom a nyálam itt Nálad, mert ezek a képek csodálatosak, olyan élethűek, és ez a saláta mennyei finom lehetett. Nagyon szeretem a kuszkuszt, és mindig tartok itthon. A lukulluszparadicsom pedig van a kertembe, igaz még aprócska, de nagyon szeretem a finom ízét. Így aztán el is mentem ezt a receptet, és paradicsomérés után, el is készítem.

Nagyon-nagyon köszönöm, hogy feltetted a panna cotta receptemet az oldaladra. Szerencsére megtudtam nézni, és az ott látottaktól teljesen elvagyok bűvölve. Ennyi finom, és szépséges recept egy helyen, Gratulálok hozzá. Itt nálunk sajnos nem tudok róla hogy lenne ilyen lehetőség, pedig én is szívesen nyitnék ilyen oldalt.
Köszönöm a kedvességedet, és puszillak.

Jane said...

Hi Elisabeth, this salad does look easy - and delicious :) I've had couscous a number of times thanks to my mom who is a big fan of it. It's a very versatile grain and can be used for breakfasts and desserts as well. I really must incorporate it into my repertoire - perhaps starting with your yummy salad!! Fresh herbs are so great - I am really enjoying the herb garden I planted this year so much that I plan to grow one indoors over the winter - I'm looking into purchasing a UV light to compensate for the long dark days.

lena said...

hi elisabeth, i've never seen this type of israeli couscous but have the tiny type of couscous at home and also never thought of adding beans to it. I ought to find more ideas what to go with couscous. Thank you for your idea!!

ping said...

I think I've mentioned before about not seeing this type of couscous here. We have those finer ones that's a bit like eating sand ... according to hubby :) I really must look out for this in the middle eastern stores. Great looking dish, Elisabeth! So colorful and refreshing!

love2dine said...

Simple and delish! Gorgeous photos.

wanna said...

Húha, tetszik nagyon, egyszerű és finom! Még sosem készítettem kuszkuszt, de most igazán kedvet kaptam hozzá :)

Cathleen said...

This looks delicious! I was in the store the other day, and I was trying to decide whether or not to buy couscous (since I have never tried it before) but I didn't get any because I don't know what to do with it! I wish I saw this first...

Lyndsey Chapin said...

This is such a nice recipe. I haven't made Israeli couscous in such a long time. My daughter keeps asking for it. I will have to make this for sure. I think I would like it warm like you had. I do like quinoa better cold in salads instead of warm though. I guess I will have to try it both ways. Thanks for the ideas! I love having fresh herbs in my garden too. I just can't seem to grow parsley or cilantro.

Zsuzsa said...

This look so delicious, I never cooked couscus before but these photos want me to give it a try. I wonder where could I buy Israeli couscous, it looks different then the couscous I have seen in the stores.

mia xara said...

Israeli couscous looks different, indeed...It's also a very delicious combination with the herbs and beans..Have a good week, Elisabeth!

Phong Hong said...

Very flavourful vegetarian dish!

Amelia said...

Hi Elisabeth, your couscous look delicious and interesting. The color look great, a very healthy dish. I presume it's good for those on diet.

Have a nice day, warm regards. *hugs*

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

I realized that I've seen Israeli couscous but I have never tried eating it (even outside). What a gorgeous and versatile ingredient to play with. Very colorful and pretty!

Carmen Anderson said...

Oh your Israeli couscous looks very pretty, they definitely look like little pearls! I have never tried it before! After looking at these very colorful and appetizing photos, I will definitely be looking out for it next time I go to the market! What a great vegetarian dish!

mangiabella said...

I loved reading this post, and then I couldn't remember if I ever commented on it....oy vei! So now I'm back to see that eek! I didn't! So here I am to say, you make me smile bella. And every time I make this dish, I think of you, and get to tell my friends and family about you. I use the garbanzo beans in lieu of the cannelini beans from your other recipe - but I can imagine how yummy this would be as well. I really love the israeli couscous size vs. smaller couscous...hugs to you bella xoxo

The Mistress of Spices said...

I am such a huge fan of Israeli couscous! Must be amazing with the cannelini beans. Yum yum!