Monday, June 20, 2011

Chocolate Eclair Cake, and Father's Day!


I realize that I should have uploaded Part 3 of my blueberry creation, and after that was a blackberry creation...just wanted to take a little brake from all the berries, and concentrate on this super yummy dessert that inspired me from Lizzy's blog...That Skinny Chick Can Bake!!! 
I mentioned to her that I cannot get the Whip it whip cream stabilizer, although I did want to make this dessert desperately. She is such a wonderful and caring friend, she sent me a couple packets of the product that I was supposed to receive it by Saturday so I can make this for Father's Day. Unfortunately, I had to make drastic measures to find a different route of make stabilizer for whipped cream, other than the gelatin method.

 Stabilizer Whipped Cream
source: Rose Levy Beranbaum
 
For 1 cup of heavy whipping cream, use 2 Tbsp of powdered sugar, and 1 teaspoon of cornstarch and add 1/2 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract.
Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, and simmer for just a few seconds, until liquid is thickened. Scrape into a small bowl, and cool completely to room temperature. Now, add the vanilla, and stir. When you are ready to whip your cream, beat 3/4 cup of heavy whipping cream, until it starts to thicken, and add in a slow stream, the cornstarch mixture, and whip until stiff peaks form when the beater is raised.

I followed Lizzy's exact recipe...the only difference was, that for the whipped cream I substituted corn starch, powder sugar, diluted with heavy whipped cream (not whipped) and when cooled, added to the custard.
So if I can inspire you with this amazing delight that truly looks like an eclair cake, and also reminds you of Napoleons, but really...just think! perfect summer dessert...a NO-BAKE...without the excessive heat in the kitchen.
I have never made a custard without eggs, or pudding powder...the custard in these layers are from pure heavy cream, butter, pure vanilla, delicately layered with...of all things, graham cracker cookies!

 I just went downstairs to check my mail, since I saw the mail truck pull up, and wouldn't you know?...Yeayy! I got my Dr. Oetker Whip it ...stabilizer for Whipping Cream:D I am so, so, happy that I have such nice and generous friend. Thank you so much Lizzy!... so gracious and kind to help me out, but I already made it from my homemade "scratch" stabilizer, so I will use it next time. I'm telling you this dessert looks like you "slaved away" for hours making this droolworthy dessert, with the decadent chocolate smooth as silk, ooey, gooey topping, and the cream is heavenly.
I could not wait for six hours to cool off, I made space in the freezer and chilled it for nearly an hour. So, if you want to try this dessert, click on the recipe.. and I guarantee you will stay on to browse for more of her amazing dishes, and fabulous desserts!

So on Father's Day, breakfast, my son Joe took us out for a casual, and fun breakfast, right in the nearby area called, Howley's
in West Palm Beach. The eatery is very popular, and has been for decades. It is another 50's style so cool and casual, original building, still with the same counter, and 50's soda fountain stools, and booths.






 So laid back and such a relaxing place for breakfast, lunch, and dinner...and certainly affordable prices.
Really interesting artwork displayed inside. The cool artwork of the skinny lady w/the blue hair is for sale for
$350.00


Sophia opted for the French Toast...really so fluffy...yumm!








 

 I ordered the omelet, with tomatoes, mushroom, onions,and bacon, with home fried potatoes. (3 of us shared the potatoes, so much!)
Enhanced by Zemanta

38 comments:

Kathy said...

What a great place to have a Father's Day breakfast. It looks like such a fun place! I also saw Lizzy's Eclair Cake. I have been making a similar cake also called Eclair Cake for years…I will have to post it some time over the summer. Yours looks fabulous! Thanks so much for posting the stabilizer for whipped cream!

Brenda said...

It looks like you all had a fun Father's Day breakfast Elisabeth. And that eclair cake is something else! I used to make it years ago, I got the recipe from my Mom. I haven't made it in a long time though, I should really make it one of these days, I know my kids would be happy! Have a great week my friend!

Lizzy said...

Oh, your eclair cake is GORGEOUS, Lizzie! Your slices are perfect...and the layers just lovely! I'm so glad you shared this with your family...and I agree that it's wonderful to have a dessert that doesn't require the oven or stove :)

Glad you had a fun Father's Day outing with Joe and his family...great looking omelet :) And thanks, too, for the alternate whipped cream stabilizer...excellent tip for those times when there's no Whip It in the pantry~ xo

FOODESSA said...

I wish I were as talented as you are when cutting eclair cake as sharp as you did Elisabeth...looking real good ;O)

Glad you and your family had such a lovely quality time together...take it all in ;)

Have a great week.
Ciao for now,
Claudia

laurie said...

this looks amazing,,see you make everything look good,, just perfect, this happens to be my husbands favorite pastry,, he would would love this.

ping said...

Looks like a fun place! I'm sure you enjoyed yourselves tremendously. I did ogle at Lizzy's cake earlier but was a little disappointed as we don't have Whip it here. I love the idea of a no-egg custard. This sounds like the same method for a flour frosting I'd found, used and forgotten about. Yay! The day is sunshiney again! I will try this out soon! Thanks for sharing. I would have given this up if not for you. xx

Swathi said...

Father's day breakfast sounds dleicious. chocolate eclair cake is awesome perfect.

Pacheco Patty said...

I love the idea of an eclair cake, it looks beautiful with the layers and chocolate on top ;-)
Looks like you had a wonderful Father's day celebration;-)

aipi said...

Elisabeth ~ you are super baker ! I am amazed by all your baked goodies every time I visit n this one is no exception n beyond! Love love these choco eclair cake it is full of yumminess n love..
I am so glad to know you all had a wonderful time celeberating Father's day!
US Masala

Angie's Recipes said...

Eclair cake...what a great idea! My husband complains all the time that I don't make eclairs often enough for him. Maybe I should bake one for his birthday.
I like "whip-it" too, very practical, esp. in hot summer days.

Chic & Gorgeous Desserts said...

Omg, this looks amazing. It's making me drool.
I really can't wait to make this Choc Eclair cake. It's the first I seen.. Yummm yummm.. Btw, Elizabeth, thanks for letting me know that you did try to comment on my previous posts. Am glad to know you still stop by to cheer me on. Miss reading your comments my dear friend. You take care now.. Cheers, Jo

Priya said...

Gorgeous and scrumptious cake, seriously u never stopped surprising me with ur beautiful bakes, looks awesome..

mia maria said...

I love the idea of an éclair cake! It looks amazing! I am drooling here:)

Sarah said...

I love those choc eclairs ! they are a dream

Bianka said...

Juj ezt a sütit szívesen megenném

Carole said...

You cake looks beautiful! The Whip It stabilizer has cornstarch it, so that ingredient seems to be the key.

Parsley Sage said...

Looks like y'all had a lovely Father's Day! Such a cool place to unlax :) Lovely cake as well! It looks fabulous :) And when you finally do get Lizzy's Whip it stablizers, I'm sure you'll have something equally awesome to post. Well done!

Junia said...

wow, the cake looks fabulous!!! thanks for the tip on the whipped cream stabilizer! will have to try it~~

shabs said...

Oooooh , that looks so decadent , so drool worthy , Yummmm!!!

Monet said...

What a lovely Father's Day...and what a lovely way to celebrate. Your cake looks so good, my sweet friend. But not nearly as sweet as your precious family. Thank you for sharing with me tonight. I always leave with my heart full and my stomach growling. I hope you have a wonderful end to your week. Love from Austin!

mangiabella said...

The thought of this chocolate eclair cake is almost too much for the soul to bear....and your father's day sounds just perfect....while I love french toast I just may love potatoes more...I bet I could have eaten all of those myself!!!!

Foodness Gracious said...

Love choccy eclairs and evrything choux...
Love the blog and happy to follow...

Nami @ Just One Cookbook said...

Wow Lizzy is such a nicest person! Your eclaire looks gorgeous!! I'm happy that you had a wonderful Father's Day!

mellissina2 said...

Elizabeth!!! Jövök enni!!!!!

Mari said...

Elisabeth, this looks delicious, it is a mouthwatering dessert. Thank you for the recipe on how stabilize whip cream with cornstarch. Now about Howley's .... well I have to tell you that my hubby is on the way to buy bread to make this delicious french toast and home fried potatoes :)

Hugs

claudia lamascolo said...

Well it looks the tale two Lizzie's lizzy's can bake ok my good lord who could choose your both fabulous bakers, cooks and foodie friends bar none, wouldn't be without you! Thanks for making me want to bake again today! Your both so inspirations to all of us to want to bake desserts! thanks girls!

honey82 said...

Ciao Eli!!!:-))
Come stai??
Splendido e assolutamente golosissimo il tuo dolce..:-P
e bellissime con tanta allegria e spensieratezza le foto..:-))
Complimenti e tanti baci a presto**
Daiana

Quay Po Cooks said...

The choccy eclaire looks out of this world delicious! Today I learn something about the whipped cream stabilizer. Thanks. So happy to hear that you guys had so much good food and fun on Father's Day!

Angela said...

My husband would go crazy for this. Lizzy does have an excellent blog - and so do you.

Becky said...

Elisabeth,

Your eclair cake looks simply divine. I have made this before, but with the pudding mix and Cool Whip.The layers look so luscious and your pics are great! I can't wait to try this version.

Jay said...

sounds absolutely inviting..awesome presentation..;)
Tasty Appetite

Sutapa said...

Your eclair cake is just outstanding.Elisabeth you have blessed baking talent!

Sandra said...

AMAZING dessert! I saw that on Lizzy's site too and was blown away how good it looked, and now yours wow..really impressive!!

Angellove's Cooking said...

WOW, Elisabeth - you are :)) merciless - I will die for a piece of your cake!! Gorgeous!!!

SKIP TO MALOU said...

I promised myself that I should bake more this year, but lo and behold it's summer and it's too hot to turn on the oven... and then also comes desserts such as your Chocolate Eclair Cake, so he needs to bake haha...
Thanks for sharing, and for the inspiration. I am now convinced that I don't need to bake... well at this time of the year at least haha!

The Harried Cook said...

Gorgeous Eclair cake, Elisabeth! You've done such a fabulous job with it... :) thanks for sharing!

Florida Car said...

Two of my favorites, I see Howley's in West Palm beach. They have great pancakes too. The chocolate eclair cake slipped by me. It is a must have!

yummy tasty said...

Really Amazing Recipe And Post
i like it So Much