Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Light "Prime Filet" Tuna Salad

The most welcomed tuna salad...ever!
Light "Prime Filet" Tuna Salad
1 5 oz. Solid White Albacore Tuna (I use Bumble Bee)
1 Tbsp. Hellman's Real Mayonnaise
salt and pepper to taste
a squeeze of a fresh 1/2 lemon
Sm. handful of Italian parsley, chopped
1/2 of a large sweet onion, chopped
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard

In a small bowl, break up tuna with a fork, but keep it chunky. Mix all the other ingredients in there, and mix it lightly. The entire amount packs into 2 halves of a toasted pita, accompanied by your favorite sides. Serves 2, or 1, if you're really hungry.
What you see on this photo, is actually what it is. A simple light tuna salad, stuffed into a toasted halved pita pockets, and the colors are not exaggerated, not enhanced. Slices of Roma tomatoes, red, firm and sweet, I always buy a large bag of Romaine lettuce to have on hand for salads, and for sandwiches, and of course decorations. Always have some kind of pickles, in this case, sweet mini gherkins. You might say I have a fairly nice staple in my cupboards and refrigerator. The tuna is a new kind, that I did not see until recently. It comes a s a 4 pack, Bumble Bee "prime fillet" Solid White Albacore, and they mean just that.It is a gourmet tuna, and it's right on the can, gold color, to be exact, packed in water, but I must say, packed real solid. I'm very impressed with this brand. As you can see, it packs well into the pita pocket, and is not watery or spilling out. I am very basic at home with stuff that I make, not try to "overdo" the effects, but keep it real! I leave all the fancy stuff to other foodies out there, and I just marvel at the beauty of their creations, but sometimes wonder about...did they actually make the stuff?...and wonder about some of the recipes, but in most cases, they are quite precise, depending whose recipe it is. It is better to adapt a recipe, you just can't follow exactly what the recipe calls for, anybody with a common sense of cooking would know that. Getting back to my tuna salad.
The sad part was, that this was my "lonely little Labor Day dinner"...OK...take that back, it wasn't lonely, because we spent a nice weekend at the fabulous Fontainebleau Hotel, and Resort, and returned Labor Day, late afternoon. As you can see the photos, of the Maya Tapas and Grill, in South Beach, we ventured out to have lunch, and dinner out on the town, instead of at the Hotel, where all 7 restaurants were totally booked till late night. People in the pool, were crowded together, even in the "kiddie pool" I have never seen anything like that, and I only live 60 miles north from there. Come to think of it, I worked about a few blocks north from the hotel, on the 25th penthouse floor of a condo there about 10 years ago, as a Private Chef.I know this whole area quite well, and South Beach is even more popular now, than ever! I have never seen so many tourists and locals out on the street walking and hanging out in places, ever! Maybe in New York, or some European famous city.I will post my simple little recipe for my tuna salad for 2...in this case, it was for 1.
Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

Lizzy said...

I love tuna salad...may need to make a batch this weekend...it's been too long. Thanks for the yummy recipe and inspiration.

Elisabeth said...

Lizzy, like I mentioned, that light tuna salad was such a welcome treat, after eating out for 2 days...even if the food was good, I wanted to eat something light that evening, but more than just a green salad. Thank you!
Lizzie