Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Rye Bread...and Awards

If you can believe it, this is my first rye bread that I have ever made...(I have made white, and whole wheat in a simple loaf pan, but not rye...and not free-form.)...thanks to finding rye flour at Whole Foods Market. They have everything there, that are healthy, organic, and totally good for you. I can spend hours there, when I shop, going down on each and every isle, and have a nice and healthy self-serve lunch there, as well.
The crust of this Rustic Rye Bread is so incredibly crunchy, and the flavor just blows you away! I made a long loaf and a round loaf with the recipe, it was really such a pleasure to get your hands on these loaves, and let the bread machine do the heavy kneading, but I did get help from my little grandson Luca. He volunteered to help, and both of us loved every minute of this fabulous bread making.

The recipe comes from a 1987 Fanny Farmer Cookbook, nothing fancy, no photos, just drawing illustrations.The ever famous James Beard has a great introduction about the book. Fanny Farmer...actually, that was her real name, had a cooking school in Boston, in the early 1900, and her first cookbook was published in 1896, the Boston Cooking-School Cookbook. She died in 1915, but her legacy has been carried on for over a century, and copies have been coming out, each time with new revised editions. This edition is also a revised edition, and the latest edition is a 2010 edition. Every cook in America should know about Fanny Farmer, and her contribution to the American Cuisine! Just a little history, to get you acquainted with!...Now, let's get on to the recipe!

Rye Bread
from the Fannie Farmer Cookbook

1 cup (1/4 L) milk
2 Tablespoon shortening
2 Tablespoon dark-brown sugar
1 Tablespoon salt
2 packages dry yeast
3 cups (420 g.) rye flour
3 cups (420 g.) white flour

Bring 1 cup water to a boil, mix it with the milk, shortening, sugar and salt in a large bowl, and let cool to lukewarm. Measure 1/2 cup warm water in a separate container, stir in yeast, and let it stand for 5 minutes to dissolve. Add the dissolved yeast to the rye flour to the first mixture, and combine thoroughly. . Add enough of the white flour, so that you can handle the dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured board, knead for a minute or two, then let rest, for 10 minutes. Resume kneading for about 10 minutes, adding the remaining flour as necessary.

(I did all the previous steps, by adding everything into the bread machine container, and set the dial on to the "dough setting" to do the kneading.)

Put the dough in a greased bowl, cover, and let rise in a warm place, until almost double in bulk.













(Now here's the fun part, my little helper waiting, in the sidelines on his favorite stool... and ready to punch down the dough)


Punch down and shape into two loaves. Place in greased loaf pans, ( I made two free-form loaves) and let rise until double in bulk. Preheat oven to 375 F. degrees
(190 C.)

Bake bread for 45-50 minutes. Remove from pans and cool on rack.




For a free-form shaped bread, fold over each side, as in making the dough for flaky biscuits.









Priceless little "angelic" helping hands folding over both sides of the dough!












Shaping the dough into a round loaf...making sure the ends are tucked in and sealed, so bread will not open up and fall apart when baking.












Such happy memories will result from bread making with little ones. (both of us shaping, and sealing the bottom of the dough)












One rectangle, and one round loaf. Place on parchment lined baking sheet, and let it rise again, until larger (not necessarily doubled)









Now, you can rub a little more flour on top, and slash the tops lightly with a sharp knife, to give it a rustic design, and follow the direction for baking.









...and the finished result! My grandchildren ate at least 2 slices of this amazing bread, while it was still warm. My grandson was so proud of himself for helping, he even had another slice for breakfast, the following morning!

Get your kids help you in the kitchen with baking, whenever they get interested...which might be more often than you think. So much fun, so many fond memories:DDD


For points value, I did the math on my little handy WW points tracker. 3 points for 1 slice of bread.
(I ate 2 slices)

Linking to: Full Plate Thursday, @ Miz Helen's Country Cottage
                Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop, @ Katherines Corner


I am so honored to receive this beautiful unique award, called the Magyarok Asztala= Hungarians' Table from a Hungarian food blogger friend, Petra, @ Reformkori Konyha  and also from Eszter @ Borsodi Eszter Blogja.
I do want to reveal the originality of the beautiful Award, which was at an actual dinner event, in Hungary, photographed by Katalin @ Katalin Konyhája and designed by her, as well!
Thank you so much, I will pay it forward as soon as I can!

Here's another award, which I received from Csilla @ Csilla Konyhája, another talented cook, and baker... and also from Petra. This cute little bear and the happy sunshine, is so adorable, I could not tell you what these words mean...it's in Russian. I wish I knew where this cute one originated from, so I could mention them!
Thank you Csilla, and thank you Petra, for honoring me with this adorable award!

Petra is featured in the KIFŐZTÜK  Hungarian food magazine, that posts photos and recipes from food bloggers. She makes amazing dishes and desserts and several of her recipes with the photos are featured in the magazine. Now, why can't we get a cooking magazine like that, published? What a wonderful way of getting one's food blog in a special magazine!

Enhanced by Zemanta

47 comments:

wanna said...

Szuper! Ha elkezded a kenyérsütést nem fogod abbahagyni már. Élmény különböző liszteket kipróbálni, magvakkal, szárított paradicsommal olívával gazdagítani a kenyeret. Ha tehetem, mindig sütöm a kenyeret.

Jill Colonna said...

Well done on this tasty looking rye bread. Love all the action-packed photos, too! Looks delicious.

Elisabeth said...

Wanna, köszönöm! nem ez az első kenyér sütésem...csak ezt a fajtát még nem sütöttem. Gondolom rozs kenyér Magyarul? Legtöbbször csak az egyszerü fehér kenyeret szoktam sütni, de az is már régen volt! Sokkal egészségesebb ez a fajta!

Gizi said...

Elisabeth, nagyon szép kenyereket sütöttél. Én rozskenyeret még nem sütöttem, mert csak én szeretem, így nagyon ritkán veszek egy kisebbet. Luca nagyon ügyesen segített Neked, igazán büszke lehetsz rá. Mire felnő, megtanulja tőled a sütés-főzés minden fortélyát.:)

Swathi Iyer said...

Elisabeth,

Delicious rye bread, it has good crumb and crust. Love it. Awesome perfect.

Jane said...

This break looks very yummy! It's remind me of a simple yeast round loaf I used to make years ago that was a honey oatmeal bread - I remember it always being sweet and moist. I'm now going to try to scrounge up the recipe! Wonderful memories for both grandma and grandson :)

Pegasuslegend said...

omg just two slices my points would be the whole loaf, breads of all kinds is my dessert... not big on desserts, I would eat the whole loaf ! lovely bread, I could be dipping this in my spinach,... oh yeah!

Becky said...

This bread looks so good especially with that crunchy crust. It's great that Luca was your helper, and that you can spend that time with him baking.

Patty said...

What a beautiful loaf!!!

laurie said...

mmmm, yum! that looks amazing,

Kathy said...

Elizabeth, Congrats on your award...you certainly deserve it! What a beautiful bread...I'm really into bread baking lately! Love that you get to bake with your little helpers! What fun!

Jill | Dulce Dough said...

Congrats on your award! And your bread looks wonderful! The smell of rye bread always brings back memories for me. My sister had a wheat allergy so we had lots of rye bread growing up.

The Harried Cook said...

The bread looks fabulous, Elisabeth! And I can only imagine the flavor... I bet it was delicious! :) And congrats on the awards! You deserve them :)

Amelia's De-ssert said...

Hi Elisabeth, congratulation on your awards.Both look beautiful.
Your rye bread look very nice and delicious even thou it's your first time making this bread.
Looks like you had a good time with your grandson playing with flour in the kitchen. LOL

Have a nice day, my dear.

Christine's Pantry said...

Love the bread. Congrats on your award.

mia maria said...

The bread looks delicious! Your little helper did a great job:)
Congtatulations on your awards!

ping said...

Ok, I'll need to borrow your little grandson ... after I get my hands on some rye flour. That bread looks awesome! I love me a good loaf, esp one with a nice crust. I've never made rye bread before either since rye flour is quite costly and difficult to find (only in specialty stores and health food stores).
Congrats on more awards! You truly deserve them all! xxoo

marisz57 said...

Elisabeth, gratulálok a szép díjhoz!És a szép rozskenyérhez is!Én rozskenyeret még nem sütöttem, egyszer ki kéne próbálni.

Angie's Recipes said...

The rye loaves look fabulous with perfect crumb and thick crust. Delish!

Petra said...

Csodás lett a kenyered. Nem csoda ilyen ügyes segítővel!

Igazán nagyon szívesen adtam neked a díjat! Köszönöm, a kedves szavaidat! :)))

mellissina2 said...

Elizabeth!
Szép a kenyered,minden recept egy igazi kis történet,élmény dús öröm olvasni!

Becka (The Elegant Eggplant) said...

MMM rye bread is my favorite!

Junia said...

have you tried manna rye bread? it is SOOO good. it is sprouted bread and wheat free. you can find it in the freezer section at whole foods (b/c there is no preservatives in it!). your rye bread looks fabulous! i wish i wasn't gluten free so i could eat it!

accountability is awesome. glad you were with your family at the fair last weekend! :)

the Junkie book said...

great looking bread and so much warm history behind it. isn't it lucky to get a rhyming name like Fanny Farmer? but that way mine rhymes too: Ginza George!!

Zsuzsa said...

Jaj de finom rozskenyer! Mennem kell mert ehes lettem!

trollanyu said...

Ha tehetem én is magam sütöm a kenyereket és péksütiket. Fehérkenyeret ritkán, ez sokkal egészségesebb. A receptedet viszem is, mert szeretek a kenyerekkel kisérletezgetni:)Ja és gratulálok a díjakhoz!

Candace said...

What a beautiful loaf of bread! I am "yeast phobic" so I've never attempted to make bread for myself. My husband is the baker in the family. I recently picked up a copy of The Fannie Farmer Cookbook at a thrift store and just showed my husband your bread photos, explaining that we have that recipe in the cookbook and "see, this is what it looks like!"...hint hint....haha. He agreed that it looks delicious and hopefully he took the hint and will make a loaf or three for us soon.

Catherine said...

Dear Elisabeth, I bet this was fun! I am sure you made beautiful memories making this bread. It must have been delicious. Blessings my dear, Catherine xo

Emma said...

Glorious loaf of bread Elisabeth! I really must get back into bread making again.

I am always envious of you lot stateside having Whole Foods Market - we have something similar here but not quite.

cheers mate :):)

Griffin's Grub said...

The bread looks wonderful and that is such a great idea getting your grandson involved. What great memories that made for the both of you. Thanks for sharing.

Kristen said...

That bread looks wonderful. Rye flour has such a nice flavor to it. I have a trip planned to Whole Foods next week and now I can hardly wait!

Lizzy said...

I've never made rye bread, either, but yours is picture perfect, Lizzie! And I love that Luca is such a help in the kitchen...a budding chef for sure :) And congrats on your awards...you are definitely deserving...one of the most positive, helpful, and kind bloggers I know. Happy Thursday~

Elpiniki said...

I love homemade bread! Yours look so great, cant believe its your first time!

Spice Sherpa said...

We just rediscovered rye bread. Tasty stuff! I love caraway seeds in mine.

Suchi said...

I love rye bread and yours looks really nice...:-)

Ginger Zuck said...

Looks wonderful. I love bread. Came over from Katherine's. I am a new follower.

Kitchen Gypsies said...

Hello Elisabeth, You just reminded me how much I like rye bread. I used to make it in the bread machine which is no longer with me. Now I feel the need to make some fresh bread. Congratulations on the always deserved awards :)

Katalin said...

Elisabeth csodaszép lett a kenyered, ügyes vagy! Gratulálok a díjaidhoz, örülök, hogy hozzád is eljutott a Magyarok Asztala!

Una Semplice Passione said...

Ciao Elisabeth! I love posts about bread and this looks amazing....Mmmm...I can only imagine what a wonderful smell there will be when baking....Thank you for following me :D

Parsley Sage said...

Fabulous rye bread! I've committed to learning how to bake this year. I hope I'm as successful as you :) I wish I could borrow your Little Helper!

Monet said...

Congratulations on your awards and your beautiful loaf of rye bread! It looks amazing. Thank you for sharing, sweet friend. I hope you have a wonderful weekend. Hugs and love from Austin.

Sutapa said...

Congrats on your award!
Beautiful loaf dear! Love your cute little helper, when you get such angelic touch everything become divine!

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

I love your homemade bread Elisabeth! Looks so much better than store bought. And your little helper did a fantastic job! I have to work on my baking skills!

Katherines Corner said...

Rye bread is one of my favorites. Thus looks so good I can almost smell in baking. Thank you for linking up to the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop linky party. Sending Happy Weekend Wishes! .xo

Miz Helen said...

Elisabeth, this is beautiful bread! I just love Rye Bread and this is a wonderful recipe. No doubt your adorable helper made your bread very special! Outstanding!!Hope you are having a fabulous week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen

Vicuska said...

Szívből gratulálok a díjaidhoz!!! :) A legkedvesebb kenyerem a rozskenyér, egy ilyen angyalkezű segítség már nekem is elkelne :)

Zsuzsa said...

I am so glad this showed up at the bottom of your brios post Elisabeth! I have to try this - it's timely for me.