Friday, September 10, 2010

Angel Food Cake with Fresh Berries

So, here we are, celebrating birthdays, and Labor Day weekend in South Beach  I call my family, "the skinny family." Everybody exercises, even the two little Chihuahuas, that has to be walked everyday, due to the "weight gain" that I am guilty of, watching them for a month, while they were vacationingng in Italy...and still didn't gain weight...and here I am, reading an interesting book called, WOMEN FOOD AND GOD by Geneen Roth, that can really inspire you. Getting back to the cake. I didn't have a plan, but I did have a lot of fresh berries, about to make a mixed berry sorbet, but instead, made an Angel Food Cake, knowing that it's light, low in calories, and cholesterol, and this is the kind of cake my daughter would love. I consulted with my "bible" the 1986The New Good Housekeeping cookbook that has everything from A-Z recipes, that are simple, and gourmet, you can dress it up, jazz it up, any way you like it, no funky ingredients, but if you are creative, you can make it your own. I did adapted it my way, the spiked flavor of the Limoncello was just the right touch, but, I think I will stick with the original recipe next time. No substitute, no gimmick. The cake turned out wonderful, the "birthday girl" was happy, and so was everyone else...and so ends, another Birthday Celebration!





Angel Food Cake-(original recipe
1 2/3 cups egg white (12-14 egg whites, at room temp.)
1 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 1/4 cups sugar
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In small bowl, stir confectioners' sugar and the cake flour, set aside. In large bowl, with mixer at high speed, beat egg whites. cream of tartar, and salt until soft peaks form: beat in extracts. Beating at high speed, sprinkle in sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time. beating until sugar is completely dissolved, and whites stand in stiff peaks. Fold in flour mixture just until flour disappears.
Pour batter into ungreased 10-inch tube pan.Bake 30 to 35 minutes, until cake springs back when lightly touched. Invert cake in pan on funnel, or bottle ; cool completely in pan. With metal spatula, carefully loosen cake from pan.; Place on cake plate.
Note: This recipe is from the New Housekeeping Book, first edition, copyright 1986. I love my no-nonsense book that has great basic recipes, and with a little imagination, can be updated, and adapted from the original.
I adapted the recipe, which I am happy with, but next time will add 2 extra egg whites, and be more careful about folding the flour in. Also I reduced the baking temperature, which worked fine. Here's the adapted version which I used.
Angel Food Cake-(adapted from the original recipe)
1 3/4 cup sugar 
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup cake flour
12 egg whites at room temperature
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup Limoncello, or fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a food processor, spin sugar till superfine. Sift half the sugar with the flour. Set the rest, aside. In a large metal bow, combine egg whites, Limoncello, (or lemon juice) salt, and cream of tartar. Beat with hand mixer on high. When halfway done, but still creamy, (not stiff) slowly add sugar, lemon zest and vanilla. Keep beating until stiff. Follow the above recipe's instruction for baking, and cooling.
Glaze for berries
1 jar of fruit spread; strawberry, or seedless raspberry. Heat in small saucepan, and add juice of 1 lemon. Heat until it comes to a boil, and sieve through a fine sieve. Brush on berries, either separately, and place on powder sugar topped cake, or you can directly brush on top of the berries already assembled on cake. It is a light cake that is always a welcome dessert.
Enhanced by Zemanta

8 comments:

Lizzy said...

What a perfect birthday cake...my daughter would LOVE this! I may have to suggest it for next year :)

Gina said...

This cake is so pretty! I'm sure it was delicious too! Happy B-day to your daughter!
-Gina-

Elisabeth said...

Hi Gina, Thank for your compliment, and B-Day wish to my daughter. You are absolutely right. Don't save a cake like your yummy dark chocolate cake with custard and bananas for a B-Day. Totally, to "die for!)

http://whatsfordinner-acrossstatelines.blogspot.com/

Elisabeth said...

Hi Lizzy, I'm not waiting for next year to suggest your cake. We all love Tres Leches cake, and cannot get it this good, even in the local Cuban bakery. Nothing beats home made! Your cake turned out superb. I'm sure your daughter was very happy!
Lizzie

Lizzy said...

Aw, thanks for letting me know, Lizzie!

Elisabeth said...

Lizzy,
All the cakes you make are superb. How do you manage to stay so slim?

Danielle said...

Hi Lizzie- These cakes look divine! I liked that you used a mixture of berries instead of just one like mine. I might have to adapt my recipe for next time. Great post!

Elisabeth said...

Hi Danielle,
The only reason I used all those mixed berries because I didn't want them to go bad. They only last a few days, and you have to use them up. Most of the time I too use just strawberries.Thank you for the nice comment!